Hearty Winter Soup
1 large sweet potato
2 large carrots
1 red capsicum
1 large onion
3 cloves of garlic
1 level teaspoon cayenne pepper
1.5 cups dried red lentils
1. Peel and chop the pumpkin, sweet potato, carrots and capsicum into small chunks.
2. Dice the onion and garlic
3. Cook the onion and garlic for 2 minutes in a large saucepan, then add the cayenne pepper and cook for a further minute
4. Add the pumpkin, sweet potato, carrots and capsicum and lentils into the saucepan and cover the vegetables with water.
5. Bring the saucepan to boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until lentils are cooked.
6. Allow to cool and blend/blitz the soup until smooth and well combined.
7. Serve with a dollop of yoghurt or slithered almonds or pepita seeds and a crusty sourdough bread.
Baked Sweet Potato with Lentil Stuffing
4 sweet potatoes
3 Tblspn butter (or ghee)
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 onion, finely chopped
4 dried apricots, roughly chopped
1 Tblspn fresh ginger, grated
1 Tblspn Turmeric
2 tsp ground Cardamom
1-2 tsp Chilli Flakes
2 carrots, sliced
4 cups red lentils
1 litre water
1 tsp sea salt
2 fresh tomatoes, cut into pieces
70 g spinach or baby spinach
1 cup natural yogurt
1 cup toasted pumpkin seeds or green sprouted lentils
1 pomegranate, seeds only
Fresh coriander for serving
Method1. Preheat the oven to 200° C.
2. Make a small incision in the top of each sweet potato
3. Bake in the oven for about 1 hour, or until the skin is crispy and they feel soft inside.
4. Place a large heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add butter, onion, garlic, apricots, ginger, turmeric, cardamom and chilli flakes. Saute for a few minutes until the onion has softened.
5. Add the carrots and lentils and cook for another two minutes. Add water and salt and stir. Turn down the heat when it starts to boil, put a lid on and simmer for about 15-20 minutes. Stir occasionally. Add a little more water if necessary.
6. Remove from heat when the lentils are quite soft and dissolved, add the tomatoes and spinach and stir. Taste and add more salt if necessary.
7. Place the sweet potatoes on a plate or in a bowl. Cut a large incision or cross on top and press the side so that they open up.
8. Spoon in the lentil filling in the potatoes, add a large spoonful of yogurt, sprinkle with pumpkin and pomegranate seeds and coriander.
Recipes mentioned are courtesy of Healthy Life located at the Sturt Mall opposite Coles.See more recipes